Equally perfect for health-conscious adults and kids who love to cook, this online class will teach you a variety of methods for transforming fresh fruit into frozen summer treats for all to enjoy. (Not to mention dessert in a few simple steps without turning on the oven, win-win.) All you need is a freezer, some fruit and a blender and/or food processor. Join Teaching Table for handy freezing tips, just in time for summer’s bounty; recipe ideas; and three treats that wukk cool you off on a summer day – all in under an hour. Menu includes:
- Watermelon Hibiscus Paletas
- Chocolate-Covered Frozen Bananas
- 2-Step Seasonal Fruit Sorbet
- 3-4 c. fresh fruit, peeled and chopped (Examples: peaches, mangoes, pineapple, berries, pitted cherries, kiwi, blend of your choice, etc. )
- about 4 c. of watermelon, chopped and cubed
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 2-3 ripe but firm bananas
- choice of sweetener (Examples: maple syrup, agave, or honey)
- 8 oz. dark chocolate chunks or chips
- ½ c. of boiling water
- ½ tsp. coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. hibiscus tea leaves or 2 hibiscus tea bags (blends will work)
- fine sea salt
- handful of fresh mint, parsley, or basil (optional)
- 1-2 tsp. alcohol (Examples: bourbon, vodka, gin, tequila, mezcal, etc.) (optional)
- toppings, optional (Examples: minced nuts, sprinkles, dried coconut, chia seeds, crushed chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed graham crackers, melted white chocolate, almond or peanut butter thinned with coconut oil, etc.)
- 6 popsicle or lollipop sticks
- popsicle molds, small paper cups, or silicone molds with pop sticks
- cutting board
- sheet pans
- parchment paper
- food processor and/or blender
- small pot
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowls
- rubber spatula
- loaf pan
Please note: Prep will be required prior to class time. Instructions will be provided 48 hours in advance. In order to follow along with the instructor, please ensure you have the ingredients and equipment ready.
This class is appropriate for all ages, although we ask that anyone under the age of 12 be accompanied by an adult.
This class will take place online through Zoom. Links for Zoom classes will be sent one hour before the start of class. If you do not receive your link, please check your spam or submit an email through our contact page.
Live subtitles will be available upon request during this class. If you would like to request a sign language interpreter, or will be attending class with an aide please fill out our contact form. Please also let us know if you have any preferences (seating, vision access, etc).
About the teacher:
Laura Scheck is a teacher turned chef and founder of Teaching Table, a cooking school and culinary platform that aims to teach home cooks how to use what they have to cook more, shop less and waste nothing. Laura was trained at the Natural Gourmet Institute but really developed her passion for food trailing her Italian grandfather in his garden and later managing her neighborhood CSA in Brooklyn for 10 years. Laura previously worked as a teacher and coach for educators, making her uniquely suited to share her passion for food in an educational way. She has taught at Natural Gourmet Institute, Mount Sinai Institute for Advanced Medicine, Brooklyn Brainery, Bronxville Adult School, and Cookspace. Her website and blog can be found at www.teachingtable.net.
For details on our COVID-19 policies, class cancellation policy, parking, and more please visit our FAQs.