Learn how to decorate cakes like a pro! In this basic decorating class, you'll learn the proper way to fill a cake, as well as the best way to frost the cake (buttercream, of course!) and several different ways to decorate the finished product. At the end of class, you will finish with a fully decorated cake and the knowledge of how to do for future occasions!
Please note: Students will pick up a supply kit from Scratch Bakeshop, located at 41 Russell St., Rochester, NY 14607 on June 21st and 22nd between 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Please choose from regular, vegan, gluten-free, or vegan/gluten-free cake in the drop down menu when purchasing.
Additional Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- offset/cake spatula or butter knife
- food coloring (Scratch Bakeshop uses Americolor gel)
- bowls and spoons for mixing colors into the frosting
- piping tips (an assortment of star and round tips, tip #104 and a flower nail if interested in making buttercream flowers)
- piping bags
- room in freezer for cake to help set frosting
- optional: sprinkles (can be used for decoration!)
- optional: cake turntable (not needed but there will be a demonstration on how to use one)
This class is appropriate for all ages, although anyone under the age of 12 should be supervised by an adult.
This class will take place online through Zoom. Links for Zoom classes will be sent 1 hour before the start of class. If you do not receive your link, please check your spam or submit an email through our contact page.
Live transcription will be available during this class. If you would like to request an ASL interpreter, please fill out our contact form.
About the teachers:
Molly Hartley is an accomplished pastry chef with years of professional culinary experience. Together with her friend, she created Scratch Bakeshop, a local boutique bakery, located on Russell Street in Rochester, NY.
Jennifer McClure has a degree in food science. Jen began working at Scratch as the shop coordinator in 2015. In 2019 she made the big leap into becoming an official partner. Together Molly and Jen strive to bring the best Scratch baked goods to Rochester.
For details on our COVID-19 policies, class cancellation policy, parking, and more please visit our FAQs.