Celebrate strawberry season by learning how to bake a delicious multi-layered strawberry torte! This dessert starts with a base of thin, buttery crust that is then layered with berries and walnuts. The next and final layer of ingredients create a puffed and crunchy top to the dessert when baked in the oven. After the torte has finished baking and is cool, it can be served with whipped cream or ice cream and garnished with a homemade fruit sauce. This is a great make ahead dessert, which does not need refrigeration and can be assembled when ready to serve. Students are invited to bake along with the instructor's demonstration.
Please note: Students will make and assemble their torte during class and place it in the oven as class is ending. The dish will then need to bake for about 35 minutes and rest for at least 15 minutes before it is ready to serve.
- 1 ¼ c. flour (divided)
- ⅓ c. confectioner’s sugar
- ½ c. (or 1 stick) butter at room temperature
- 10 to 16 oz. package of frozen and thawed strawberries (drain and save juice as they thaw)
- reserved juice from thawed frozen strawberries
- ¾ c. chopped walnuts
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1½ c. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ c. water
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- medium bowl (can be washed and reused for second mixing)
- electric hand mixer or stand mixer
- sieve to drain strawberries and bowl to retain juices
- 13 x 9 baking pan with bottom lightly greased
- dry measuring cups: 1, ½, ¼
- liquid measuring cup
- potato masher or large spoon
- measuring spoons
- cooling rack
- small saucepan
This class is appropriate for all ages, although anyone under the age of 16 should be supervised by an adult.
This class will take place online through Zoom. Links for Zoom classes will be sent 1 hour before the start of class. If you do not receive your link, please check your spam or submit an email through our contact page.
About the teacher:
MaryAnne Quatrano-Holleran was a classroom teacher for 34 years and she has put her teaching skills together with her love of cooking Italian (her heritage) food. She has taught a monthly Italian cooking class for 10 years, as well as in-home cooking classes. MaryAnne has also appeared on the Food Network! Her skills and recipes have been passed down to her from her Nonna and she has also taken private cooking classes in Sorrento, Florence and Siena.
For details on our COVID-19 policies, class cancellation policy, parking, and more please visit our FAQs.