Learn how to decorate cakes like a pro! In this basic cake decorating class, students will learn the proper way to fill a cake, the best way to frost cake, and several different ways to decorate cake. At the end of class, students will have created a beautiful cake and the knowledge to decorate with buttercream frosting for any occasion.
Please note: Students will need to pick up a supply kit from Scratch Bakeshop, located at 41 Russell St, Rochester, NY 14607 on January 20th or January 21st between 10am-3pm. Please choose from regular, vegan, gluten-free, or vegan/gluten-free cake in the drop down menu.
Additional Kitchen Equipment Needed:
- offset/cake spatula or butter knife
- food coloring (Scratch Bakeshop uses Americolor gel)
- bowls and spoons for mixing colors into the frosting
- piping tips (an assortment of star and round tips, tip #104 and a flower nail if interested in making buttercream flowers)
- piping bags
- room in freezer for cake to help set frosting
- optional: sprinkles (can be used for decoration!)
- optional: cake turntable (not needed but there will be a demonstration on how to use one)
This class is appropriate for all ages, although anyone under the age of 12 should be supervised by an adult.
This class will take place online through Zoom. Links for Zoom classes will be sent 1 hour before the start of class. If you do not receive your link, please check your spam or submit an email through our contact page.
About the teacher:
Molly Hartley is an accomplished pastry chef with years of professional culinary experience. Together with her friend, she created Scratch Bakeshop, a local boutique bakery, located on Russell Street in Rochester, NY.
For details on our COVID-19 policies, class cancellation policy, parking, and more please visit our FAQs.